Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I'm resting.....really! (wink, wink)

Looking at some of the pictures on my blog, my family has been telling me if I ever quit designing and making bears that I should think about becoming a photographer. Silly, sweet family! A photographer I'm not. For starters, my camera is idiot proof and I just like to take pictures. Some turn out well and others hit the recycle bin pretty quickly! I'm sure you've noticed, if you are a frequent visitor to my blog, I like taking pictures of flowers, the occasional weed and my cats. With a little prompting, I decided to print up a few of my favorite pictures and put them on cardstock. Fear not, I'm not ready to quit my day job! It has been a fun little diversion though!!
Another little something I've been making is pillow slips from my antique linens. I have a passion for pillows. White pillows especially. Don't ask me why. I haven't a clue! ha! My particular favorites are those with heavily embroidered intials and scalloped edges. Just so you know, I don't cut up my pristine linens. Nope. Nope. Nope. I only use those with issues....rescuing their salvageable parts and making what my have ended up in the bin, something beautiful and useful once again.

So there you have it. And you thought I was just resting by the pool all day. Nah......just enough to say I rested. Ha! Actually, creating pretty things is what I truly find to be most restful. Don't you think so too?

Happy Pink Wednesday bear hugs, Aleta

12 comments:

Brenda said...

Hi Aleta,
I love what you've been doing with your cards. They are really great.
The pillows are such a lovely way to salvage the old linens into something beautiful. Well done - now are you going to rest? haha

hugs,

Brenda

Adrienne said...

Ah, Aleta, you are resting! What you're doing is a change of pace for you and it's a fun accomplishment. I love your notecards. A friend of mine did something similar with her photography quite a few years ago. I've thought of doing the same. Maybe some day I'll do something special with mine. Your pillows are wonderful. I love to do that with vintage linens. I have a lot put away for whenever the creative 'genius' hits and time allows. Thanks for sharing yours with us. (That picture would make a great notecard, too.)
Take care,
~Adrienne~

Shantell said...

Is that Max I see on one of those cards? (Notice what I see first)...HA!

I simply adore the lovely pillows. What a wonderful way to relax. I think any of us who know you at all knew you were NOT sitting by the pool dangling your feet sipping lemon martini's all day. LOL

Restful Hugs to my friend,
Shantell

Melanie Clark said...

Beautiful. Your photos ARE wonderful. I like to take photos too.. only most of mine don't turn out! Heehee. It is restful just making things that tickle your fancy... with no deadlines or pressure to have things for sale. :) Much better, I think than just doing nothing but "resting" :) :)
Hugs!
Melanie

Nancy said...

Beautiful Aleta! A lovely idea for your photos...I always feel it is a shame to just through beautiful pics in a box or on a CD...we should enjoy our work in as many forms as possible, I say!...(good segway in the pillows!!)...I just love the pillows. I love beautiful antique-looking pillows also. Terrific way to see the beauty!

Have a great week!
Hugs, Nancy

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Gorgeous work Aleta! Just love the white on white. Pillows have been on my agenda for 3 years now (seriously ~ right Brenda!). I have an empty category in my Etsy shop. Had two and they sold, now I have to make more ~ dohh!!! I can sell yours for you LOL !!! You have inspired me to keep at it.

Karen at Ciderantiques

Barn House said...

You are a woman of many, many talents!! Hope you are planning on bringing some of these goodies to our flea market!! :o)

Hope you are enjoying the rest and relaxation...our vacation officially starts today. HEE HAW!

See you soon,

J & J

Christine LeFever said...

Indubitably, I do agree! All so pretty, dear Aleta.

Christine (Zwee!!!)

Aleta said...

Thank you all, for your delightful comments! I appreciate you all so very much! It's been such a lovely time doing whatever pleases me creatively.

Jermonne,
Yes, indeed! I will certainly be bringing some of these goodies with me to your flea market. :o) I'm looking forward to it!!

Shantell,
Yupperoo.....that's Max when he was just a wee kitten. How could I not print a card with dear Max? Remember the one with his mouth open? The one that looks like he's laughing? I printed that one too. That's going to be my Halloween card!!

Blessing to each of you for taking the time to post. You're the BEST!!

Warmest bear hugs, Aleta

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

The pillowslips are beautiful.If there were more people like ourselves(finding new purpose in the things others would throw out)just think of all the beauty we'd be surrounded by.
Your photos look enticing in the card format, perhaps you could make boxed sets?
But remember you are supposed to be resting.
Have a great 4th of July!
Susan

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Aleta,

I always love looking at your beautiful photos and
what a great idea to turn them into note cards.
I also love your white pillow slips, they are so pretty.

I hope that you are managing to get some rest
whilst making all your beautiful things!

Warmest hugs
Carolyn xx

All Bear by Paula said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty *sighs*, I've not much to say here Aleta, I'm just soaking up all the pretty!!! Glad to hear you're taking it a little easier.