Monday, August 13, 2007

Treasures galore!


Oh, the delicious fun one can get into going to faires and estate sales!! Here are a couple of snaps of my latest treasures from this past weekend. If you've been reading my blog for awhile I think you've learned by now that I buy most everything in the same color palette: shades of pink and shades of ivory to white!! Yummy!! I do bend a little when it comes to a lovely shade of lilac though. Tarnished silver is another fav!!

The 1st Annual Rolling Rock Farm faire was much smaller than I'd imagined it would be. However, some of my favorite people where there and brought lovely things for me to find. Linda Marcov, from Willow Nest was there and so was Randy, from Madison Park. Pssst.....Randy is opening his own shop in Sellwood in November!! Sellwood: Stars Antique Malls, Justin & Burkes, Caprial's Cafe, Coco & Toulouse Go Shopping. Sellwood is a spend the day shopping trip!! I'm just tickled (what else but pink!!) that Randy will join in the fun there!!!

Okay, now onto those two lovable, but rather rough around the edges, bears!! Bill and I found them at an estate sale on Saturday. The Aurora antique faire was a bit of a disappointment. Can you believe there were absolutely no pink and white booths there?!!! Not one bit of eye candy!!! So, we were off to go estate saling!! The two bears were laying on a table side by side. I could not believe that no one had snapped them up already!!! We arrived late in the afternoon for goodness sakes!! Well, perhaps not everyone in the world loves motley old bears like I do. They had tape across their chests with prices of $75.00 and $95.00. Bill, always looking for a bargain, asked if they'd take less. How much less? $125 for both? SOLD!!! Wahooo!!!!

From the little bit I do know about old bears, and with a little investigative work I did when I got home, I found these bears to have been made in the 1920's. Their eyes are handpainted glass rather than the older shoebutton eyes. They are most likely German made. Are they Steiff? Unless they had the button in their ear I couldn't say for sure. It matters not to me anyway!! I love them!!! I also love that I found the two of them together. That seems to be how I find bears....in pairs. I wonder why that is? A little something to ponder while I work today!!

The sun is shining brightly here in Portland!! It's a great day to finish a panda nose!!

Warmest bear hugs, Aleta

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You also forgot to mention Abundant Yarn and Dyeworks in Sellwood, my personal favorite. :D I will get back to knitting one of these days...

Love,
Bee

BumbleVee said...

What?? no pink and white booths?...unbelievable!

But....what a find those two antique bears were! They almost seem to be smiling.... very sweet they are. Probably 'cuz they know they found a home together at your house.

Aleta said...

Hi Bee!
You're right. I forgot Abundant Yarn and Dyeworks. Fab place for all sorts of yarn and wonderful imaginings!! I'm imagining little bear sweaters. HINT HINT!!

Hi Vee,
Can you believe it? Not one pink and white booth!!! I'll get my fill this weekend at Willow Nest though!! And yes, those two bears do look like they're smiling don't they? I just adore them!! One of these days I'll have to gather all my tatty little bears together and take their picture. The sheer idea makes me smile!!

Warmest bear hugs on another beautiful Portland day! Aleta

Folksie Linda said...

Oh Aleta, you look like you have found some wonderful charming bears with loads of personality just the way you like them! Awesome Deal! good for you!
Thanks for sharing them! Hugs, Linda

Laura Lynn said...

Aleta you are a lucky duck, that's for sure... to have even FOUND bears like these... much less at such a bargain!!