Monday, May 12, 2008

Bits, bobs and a square bear?

How was your Mother's Day weekend?!! Fabulous, I hope!! Mine consisted of a little brocante shopping and a "Creative Day". The perfect weekend!!

I snapped a quick picture of some of the treasures I found on Saturday. It's a rather eclectic mix isn't it? An old falling apart dictionary, funky spigot knobs, the letter "Q", a silver cake plate, paper florist boxes, glass chandelier prisms and a plump ironstone pitcher. Eclectic indeed!!

And what pray tell is a "Creative Day"? It's a day when Brittany and I get together in my studio to work on projects, chat, drink coffee and listen to music. Britt works on her scrapbook....all over the floor.....and I work on bears. Goodness knows, I have a few bears to work on!! ha!

Yesterday's project was a wee bit different though. I started working on a mixed media bear inspired by Lisa Kaus's art dollies. This is as far as I was able to get. The actual mohair bits are done....all except for the facial features. Which, I suppose, I'd better attend to before I go much further. It would be a good idea to know whether to paint a dress or a pair of trousers, wouldn't it? ;o) I'll keep you posted on the progress. I'm waiting for the absorbent ground to dry.....waiting and waiting and waiting.....

Warmest bear hugs on this fine Monday! Aleta

10 comments:

Nancy said...

Hi Aleta...

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. The process for this bear looks really interesting. I'll be anxious to see it completed.

In reference to the award...My pleasure...You deserve it! I have so enjoyed my visits over here...you always have interesting things to share.
I should have actually kept it up a little longer, but I am a little shy about receiving things like this...

Have a great week, Aleta.
Hugs, Nancy

Charmingdesigns said...

I have some of the absorbent ground. I bought it because I can use my watercolors on, just like paper. What features do you like about it?? Laurie

Adrienne said...

Hi, Aleta -
When you said absorbent ground I thought maybe you meant 'mud'! That's the kind I have occasionally at my house.

I'm so glad you had a good creative day. Your finds are wonderful. I'm sure we will see them again somewhere, won't we?

I had a good day with my dear little mother. I played the piano for two church services. She and my sweetheart attended one of them then my sweetheart made a fantastic meal for the two of us gals. If you stop by my blog you will see what my dear mother and I did in the afternoon. We had fun!
~Adrienne~

Christine LeFever said...

Oh my, but Brittany's scrap book sounds interesting. I would love to see it some day, if she would ever permit.

Absorbent ground is a new one on me! Sounds wonderful from what Laurie said.

Mother's Day was good here, because I merely dawdled about in my art room and basically played. Oh, I also did some work in the yard. Or garden as the real romantics say.

Christine ~ Zwee!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love all of your 'Saturday Treasures'... How much fun is all of that?! Did you have a great time with your sis at Lisa's class? How could you not, right?! Hope you are having a good week... the warm weather is on it's way!
xoxo
K

Barn House said...

Happy (belated) Mother's Day, Aleta!! We are finally coming up for air and had a few minutes to respond to all of the supportive blogs you have been sending our way. They have given us that extra boost we needed several times on this crazy journey. Now we know how you must have felt for your first two events. PLEASE tell us it gets easier!! :o)

J / J

Diane Duda said...

I can't wait to see it finished!
I saw a few photos of Lisa's workshop on other blogs. It looked like you all had a wonderful, creative day.

xo
Di

-lovin' that letter Q :)

FrostingsNSparkles said...

Creative Day sounds like the perfect Mother's Day, and I am glad that you had a happy one! You found some wonderful treasures!!

Lisa Kaus said...

love all your goodies- hope to see some of those at the next event!
xoxo
Lisa

Sandi said...

Hi, Aleta
I was wondering what the glass-box-thingy is that's sitting on the dictionary. I bought a similar one a few years ago, but didn't know what it was.

Sandi